[lit-ideas] Re: newsxtaposition

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 16:48:11 -0230

I attribute much of our culture's emotional and moral desensitization, as well
as its cognitive haplessness, to our continuous and systematic exposure to
newsclips and newspaper adjacencies precisely of the kind you identify. The
ability and willingness to move from one story to another, regardless of
content, breeds the kind of aloofness and distance the public media requires
for its perpetuation and profit. Fascist propaganda new these same techniques
well and used them most effectively in constructing contagious conceptions of
Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, Communists, etc. But, hey, whatever ... Just delete
and move on to your next message. News about terror and the Olympics is coming
up shortly on the CBS evening news.

Walter O.
MUN