[lit-ideas] neighbors (for Lawrence Helm)

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 19:49:25 -0700

When my wife is upstairs at her computer, Cormac, our little 20 lb. Jack Russell Terrier mix, often lies at her feet. From his favorite spot he can see a walkway, used by UPS and FedEx delivery people, and by the occasional bold Jehovah's Witnesses, peddling doom. Cormac barks at them all.

We share this walkway with a neighbor, a woman in her eighties. Today she was out trimming shrubs and watering plants on her side of the walk. Cormac barked nonstop as she worked.

Later this afternoon, she and I happened to step out our front doors at the same moment. I told her that I was sorry our dog had barked at her. She said that she didn't mind; she had had dogs herself. I asked what kind. 'Rhodesian Ridgebacks,' she said, 'They hunt lions.'

Robert Paul,
somewhere south of Reed College