[lit-ideas] Re: national defense and global economics

  • From: Eric Yost <NYCEric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 02:49:06 -0400

John wrote:

The citizen defends his or her country, the worker competes in the
global marketplace. What is so strange about that?

This may, in fact, be not too bad an analogy: transnational
corporation=hostage taker, nation=hostage,citizens=those from whom
something is demanded. But what precisely is being demanded, simply
going along with corporate dominance of the state or something more?
_____

What's strange is that citizens are being asked to defend a nation that
is largely the hostage of legal entities that have little or no national
identification or allegiance. Sure there may be flags at the corporate
headquarters, but money and skilled jobs flow elsewhere.

As John pointed out people have many roles, but seldom do these roles
involve such conflict, as if one's role as worker were to poison one's
family. Or if a lover were to say, "If you really love me, you won't
love me."

In less hyperbolic terms, citizens are being asked to defend their own
increasing economic disenfranchisement. The hostage-taker is asking the
blackmail victim ("those from whom something is demanded") to defend the
hostage so that the hostage situation can continue.

Don't you love the hostage? Then fight so I am free to do what I want
with them.

Then there's the parasite-host analogy.

Eric