[lit-ideas] Re: my 2007 booklist

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 01:52:25 -0600

PS:
I guess I could take Geary's advice and
not make the little guy into a laughing stock/whipping post and just
toe the line with all the tooth-faerie, santa claus stuff. And this IS
probably the best advice to not rock the boat... but I still have
tremendous philosophical reservations about doing this.

Ach! is that how I come across?? To me child rearing is all about unconditional love. I remember my mom telling me when I was 4 or 5 that there was nothing I could do that would stop her from loving me. Nothing. I was so impressed that I can recall the whole scene some 60 years after. Surely the most impressed I've ever been in my life. My dad was every bit as loving as mom, but at the same time, in some vague, uniquely male way, more remote. I guess there's something about guyness that inhibits unlimited love. That's the saddest sentence I've ever written. Good luck, fella. Let the kid believe as the kid needs, it's all just belief after all, even our most cherished truths, just beliefs. My advice for down the road: preface every statement with the caveats: I believe, we believe, they believe -- raise the kid a pragmatist. He'll become one anyway -- or an evangelical.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>