[lit-ideas] Re: mindless acts

  • From: cblitid@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 10:41:40 +0100

On 29-Mar-13, at 1:30 AM, Omar Kusturica wrote:

Those must be the world's most serious problems right now. I am kind of more worried about purposeful behaviors that result in thousands of dead, billions of dollars stolen etc.

O.K.

I would - alright, I DO - argue that there is a strong relationship between the 'mindless' behaviour and its 'defense' (currently along the lines of "*Everybody* knows that we're motivated to act and our behaviour is determined long before we consciously deliberate about what we're doing - that got proven in the *last* century!") and the problematic 'purposeful' behaviour that you outline above.

A brief sketch: the 'Enlightenment Project' (a very recent, and in my optimistic mind, ongoing) demands at least a nod in the direction of responsible purposeful behaviour (exercise for the reader: how does one determine what is 'responsible behaviour' and how does one develop the critical faculty to give ethically defensible direction to one's 'purpose'?).

Imho (and imharguments) the 'purposeful behaviors that result in thousands of dead, billions of dollars stolen etc.' have those results only because sufficient numbers abdicate their responsibility. (E.g., how many citizens of democratic countries truly participate in the democratic processes of those nations. By participate I mean much more than merely making an INFORMED choices during elections. Even that minimal criterion is, I think, nowhere fulfilled [on a national level].) The 'defense' of, or excuse for 'mindless' behaviour I paraphrase above is just one instance of this abdication.

Chris Bruce,
Kiel, Germany

P.S. This is all related to my posting on nazism and Kant, about which i will write more later. But I can't write on that subject more than once every couple of weeks.

-cb