[lit-ideas] Re: military question

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 18:15:09 EDT

Wow.  More layers than I realized.  Complicated structure.   Thank you for
the clear summary!

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: military question
 Date: 9/3/05 4:28:48 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_robert.paul@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:robert.paul@xxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx  wrote:

>  I know *nothing* about military jargon (as is evidenced
> here).  Trying to get a picture of the number of military involved  in
> the Hurricane mess, what, exactly, is a battalion?  I mean, I  know what
> a battalion is, but is there a set number?  What kind of  number are we
> talking about?
>
> <<We have --  two battalions from Fort Hood arrived yesterday that's in
> that effort.  >>

Army Formations

â Squad: The smallest groupings in  the army structure, squads are made
up of 8 to 11 soldiers and are normally  led by a sergeant.

â Platoon: Usually consisting of two to four squads,  platoons are
typically led by a lieutenant, with a senior sergeant second in  command.

â Company (in the infantry), battery (in the artillery) or troop  (in the
cavalry): The company, battery or troop is made up of three to five
platoons and is typically commanded by a captain. It usually has a first
lieutenant as the second in command and a first sergeant as the senior
non-commissioned officer.

â Battalion: The primary combat maneuver  element of the Army, the
battalion or squadron is composed of four to six  companies and is
commanded by a lieutenant colonel with a sergeant major as  the senior
non-commissioned adviser. A major acts as the executive officer  and
second in command. The battalion is tactically and administratively
self-sufficient and can conduct independent operations of a limited
scope. An armored or air cavalry unit of similar size to a battalion is
called a squadron.

â Brigade: The brigade or regiment is made up of  two to five battalions
under the command of a colonel with a sergeant major  as the senior
non-commissioned officer. Armored calvary and ranger units of  similar
size to a brigade are called regiments, while special forces units  are
known as groups.

â Division: Typically made up of three maneuver  brigades, as well combat
support brigades, they are commanded by a major  general. The division
performs major tactical operations for the corps and  is capable of
sustained operations.

â Corps: A corps is made of two  or more divisions commanded by a
lieutenant general. At this level, national  intelligence assets are
analyzed and command and control of the whole  theater operations are
coordinated.

â Army: Armies can be identified  as theater armies, field armies, or
army  groups.
Note that although a battalion is  self-sufficient, there are
specializations within a battalion so that not  everyone is trained in
every kind of work. Also (as I would expect is the  case here) a
battalion (as might a regiment or division) could be  under-strength.

Robert Paul
The Reed  Institute