[lit-ideas] Re: medical jargon

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:00:29 EDT

atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> The maintenance man quit and I asked if I could have the job.
> Sure, they said.  I'd never owned a screwdriver before then.  "Take
> advantage of fools", has always been my motto, and if they were foolish
> enough to let me do something I knew nothing about, well then, God bless
> 'em.

My father was a computer programmer.  I hated computers with a passion.  They
were corrupt, they falsified the world and as artificial items interrupted
Nature.  I avoided them studiously and refused to acknowledge their existence.
My first post-College job was as a secretary in an English dept at the local
University.  They had a computer, plastic wrap still on, never plugged in,
sitting in the back.  They'd had it 7 months.  No one knew what to do with it.
didn't know from squat.  It was a challenge -- more interesting than
scribbling doodles trying to look busy.  So I plugged it in.  A black screen
with an
orange underline came on.  Dos 2.0, I think.  24 KB of RAM or something
ridiculous.  They let me play with the Expensive Instrument because no one else
cared
to.  I put their book lists in alpha order with a few key clicks.  It's
amazing what you can do when you're desperate.  Yep.  They were foolish enough
let me do something I knew nothing about.  I got tired, eventually, of
listening
to my super-ordinant gripe if a rubber-band found its way into the waste
basket.  I have always held her as my Model of Anal Retentiveness.  I think
that
leads back to Cracks and I could smooth this into something suitable for Comp
and Rhetoric but I'm just not enthused enough.

Julie Krueger