[lit-ideas] Re: medical jargon

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:34:06 -0700

Le 6 sept. 04, =E0 21:10, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx a =E9crit :

> Dealing with trying to make an ancient computer resucitate (juggling=20=

> pci DSL
> and modem ports, re-installing software, borrowing this part for =
that),
> pre-menstrual teenagers, painting the kitchen cabinets in the garage,=20=

> 3 days worth
> of husband who is as bad as kids plus kids underfoot, I think I will=20=

> be well
> off if I ambulate myself to bed.  I can't get connected to Theoria, my
> Notesbrowser (read Life Plan) is available only in German, this=20
> computer corrupts the
> most recent download of AOL, Power Tools is not compatable, and I=20
> can't find my
> damned putty knife.  My 19 yr. old step-daughter who can't remember to=20=

> pick
> up the trash she just dropped is in fear for her life because she is=20=

> short of
> breath and has headaches; my 13 yr old daughter doesn't know if she=20
> loves God;
> and my 11 year old didn't decide soon enough to run for Student=20
> Council.  The
> dishwasher, washing machine and garbage disposal all decided to craash
> simultaneously (what gods of appliances did I anger and what libations=20=

> do I offer??)
> and I can't figure out why my air conditioner freezes two hours after=20=

> I start
> it.
> Tomorrow I'm going to exchange the ethernet card, call teachers re. my=20=

> kids'
> issues, go to Mom's and put something on E-Bay which she supposes will=20=

> make
> her rich, paint a few more cabinets, think about suing Microsoft=20
> and/or Hewlet
> Packard, pick up dry cleaning, call the trash company, drop=20
> undeveloped film of
> who knows what origin off, and pray for a quick and painless end.

M.C.:  Here is a repose that can sustain us amid the inevitable unrest=20=

of our wanderings in the world. Here thought must dissolve into=20
radiance. Where there is no further question, there is also no answer.=20=

In the philosophical transcending of question and answer we arrive at=20
the limit, at the stillness of being.

        Karl Jaspers, Way to Wisdom, trans. R. Mannheim, New Haven 1951, =
p. 49.

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)
CNRS UPR 76