[lit-ideas] Re: media violence

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 13:52:54 -0400

Yes, of course, computation and reading skills are and should be
required, although even those often don't take.  We get even fewer
takers for the constitution and history.   And geography might as well
not be offered at all for all the takers there.  (I'm exaggerating --
for effect -- at least I hope so...)    I suppose I was imagining a
person mature enough and basically educated enough to make choices about
future education and thus used Shakespeare as an example.  (Thinking of
Summerhill, perhaps)  But, moving along the school curriculum, the
presentation of history, for instance, might be more problematic (than
the computation).  Whose history is the most 'true'?  I've never lived
in the South, but I suspect that the history of the civil war looks
different there than it did in Chicago.  I know for a fact that the
Revolutionary War and the War of 1812 looked different in the Canadian
history I used to teach than it did in my Chicago school books.   If we
placed computation and violence on a continuum for the sake of
comparison, surely we would place history some where between them.   But
where, how close to either end, depends on a variety of things.  If
we're talking about grade three social studies, then maybe it could be
right up alongside the arithmetic.  But if we're talking about
university level history, then maybe we'd have to slide it along towards
violence.  And notice that at that point we no longer require it, we
offer it.

To answer your question about what the difference is between algebra and
violence, I would say the most obvious difference is that one arouses
emotions and the other doesn't.   One has issues of morality attached to
it, while the other doesn't.   One pushes us to take sides and the other
doesn't.  (This also applies to the difference between the grade three
and the university level history.)   Perhaps we're letting ourselves off
the hook as much as our children with our censorship.  Eventually, we
comfort ourselves, they'll be old enough to figure it out for themselves
and we won't have revealed how little we understand.
Ursula,
answering only small parts of the question...