[lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas]Strawberries

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:06:55 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jan 4, 2005 7:36 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas]Strawberries

on 1/4/05 3:45 PM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx at JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I like dark chocolate-covered strawberries.

I have gleaned two pieces of data from recent reading: that California
strawberries have the highest absorbed pesticide residue (i.e. not capable
of being washed off) of any U.S. crop, and that among chocolate's medicinal
ingredients are antioxidants which, in a perfect world, would counter the
carcinogenic effect of the pesticide residue.  Whether they actually do, I
cannot tell.

A.A.   I've read that they're still worth eating because the nutrients outweigh
any effects of the chemicals.  This may, of course, be Monsanto propaganda.
There's no real way to know.  The FDA now almost literally works for the drug
companies (no exaggeration), but I haven't heard about USDA.  Actually, I don't
know who would regulate pesticides in food.  The Department of the Interior?
EPA?  If medication is of such little consequence, I doubt there's too much
concern about pesticides.  I know when Christie Whitman was head of EPA she
said she had a lot of pressure put on her by the administration.

I wonder why Ralph Nader doesn't take on the pharmaceutical industry.  Probably
because no one can take on the pharmaceutical industry.  Except one person, and
that person is, yes, Michael Moore.  I just read that he is making a film on
the health care of the U.S., including pharma.   It probably won't change
anything.

Andy Amago

David Ritchie
Porltand, Oregon