[lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas The Shadow Scholar

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 23:40:23 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Tue, 16/11/10, John Wager <jwager@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I must say that in my experience mostly with introductory
> level students, anybody who I have actually observed and
> "caught" cheating has never made it through the whole class
> to get a grade; they give up before the end.  So I
> usually tell students that if I see them cheat and do NOT
> call them on it, it's because I expect that they won't make
> it through the class anyway.

Even as a practiced cheater, I struggle to imagine how - unlike made-up quotns
and events in history or literature - you can easily cheat in philosophy,
especially in multiple choice; though I recall Woody Allen saying he did it in
his metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to him.

Donal