[lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas] Re: un petit hommage à l'herbe

  • From: Renée Morel <reneemorel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 23:18:54 -0800

Hwhat these French people are hearing? That the Anglos have this annoying
habit of
pronouncing the [h] sound all the time. Most French people can't be
bothered as it is
too alien for them to pronounce a silent letter (in a scene of "Last Tango
in Paris" Maria
Schneider famously says "a war" when she means "a whore").

When the French do make an effort, they sprinkle their sentences with [h]s, but
are
not too particular about where these fall. Very often, the [h] will be
anticipated,
which
betrays a certain amount of stress about it (a visiting professor at UC
Berkeley once
referred to the actress Maureen O'Hara as "Maureen Ho 'ara," with a very
forceful [h]).

Renée Morel
(Do you pronounce "witch" and "which" differently?)