[lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas] RE: [lit-ideas] Hannibal’s Cookbook

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 14:18:50 -0700

Omar,

This should provide an overview of the character and perhaps how popular he has become, at least in Western Europe & its Northern European progeny. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal_Lecter

I just finished the first two seasons of the TV series (Canadian as far as I know) on Netflix. The Danish actor Mads Mikkelsen is especially compelling. Anthony Hopkins in the earlier movies seemed so good that no one, Mikkelsen included, thought he could match him, and yet Mikkelsen took the role and did, making it something that Hopkins never did. Especially notice from the article, "Fuller commented on Mikkelsen's version of Lecter: "What I love about Mads' approach to the character is that, in our first meeting, he was adamant that he didn't want to do Hopkins or Cox. He talked about the character not so much as 'Hannibal Lecter the cannibal psychiatrist', but as Satan <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan> – this fallen angel <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallen_angel> who's enamoured with mankind and had an affinity for who we are as people, but was definitely not among us – he was other."

Lawrence

On 4/5/2015 6:54 AM, Omar Kusturica wrote:

Who is Hannibal here ? Not the historical Hannibal, I take it.

O.K.

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Thank you to L Helm

-----