[lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas] Le Pesanteur et la Gr âce

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 01:11:37 EDT

Remember .. paradox was her hallmark.  And someone please tell me they  read
my post beyond that line.  <sigh>

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas] Le
Pesanteur et la Gr âce  Date: 8/6/2004 11:58:47 PM Central Daylight Time  From:
_Jlsperanza@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
We are considering S. Weil's posthumous*  thought,

"The demonstrable    correlation of opposites
is an image of  the  transcendental correlation
of  contradictories."

(* Geary corrects me (offlist): "The thought is not  posthumous, unless  in a
'figure of speech'. Weil was certainly alive  when she thought  it").  R.
Paul
re-considers my 'colour'  illustration as it may apply  to Weil's
generalization, and  writes:

>How many things are said to be red or not red here? If   we
>latch onto the lower left proposition 'Some...are...' then  we  [might] have
>'Something ('at least one thing,' as logicians say)  is  red. Where do we go
from
>here and how are we helped to go there by  the  square of opposition? Beats
me.
>This is something the S of  O can't handle  unless there is an offstage
>demonstration that for  all x, if x is blue, x  is not red, and even then
it's
>impossible to  see where, on a diagram  which uses _as such a diagram must_
the
>same subject and predicate  throughout, a proposition with a  different
subject
>and predicate would  go. (The truth of 'All  cats are mammals' doesn't bear
on the
>truth of  'All whales are  mammals' e.g.), so there is no place for
propositions
>about red  things and blue things in the same  illustratrtion.

Indeed. I stand  corrected. Note, however, I was thinking  of the
'trascendental' datum  -- "Nothing can be red and blue all over  at the same
time" --
which,  incidentally, is listed as 'analytic a priori' in

_http://faculty.washington.edu/wtalbott/phil450/trB&S.htm_
(http://faculty.washington.edu/wtalbott/phil450/trB&S.htm)

Rather, R. Paul uses the 'animal' example:

>The truth of 'All  cats are mammals' doesn't bear on the
>truth of  'All whales are  mammals'.

I guess the parallel would be:

x is  a cat.
x is a whale.

As R. Paul observes,  indeed:

>The truth of 'All cats are mammals' doesn't
>bear on  the truth of 'All whales are mammals'.

But, a la "nothing can be red and  blue all over at the same time" we could
concoct a corresponding  analytic truth of zoology:

"Nothing can be a cat and a whale  at the same  time."

(Conditional: [It is analytic that] if x is a  cat, (then) x is not a
whale).
(**)

(** Again, Geary corrects  me offlist: "In a manner of speaking. Think
"catfish".")

R.  Paul concludes:

>'Opposite' is a word Weil might have thought about
>for more than five minutes if she wanted to say
>something  intelligible about 'contradictories'.

But, again, remember this all  posthumous, and thus  somewhat ironic to judge
whether she might (or  then, might have not)  thought about this "for more
than
five minutes".

More charitably, J. Krueger writes:

>explore how saying  against is  different from placing or  positioning
>against?  I have some ideas of what  that looks  like to  me...

"The  demonstrable correlation of  opposites is an image of  the
transcendental  correlation  of  contradictories."

Mmm, not sure what Weil meant -- which is back to E.  Holder's observation
--
worth repeating here:

"I studied Simone Weil in an existentialism  class.  ... My
friend and I would sit there completely   baffled.  We had
absolutely no idea what anyone  was talking  about. It
seemed like nonsensical  conversation after  nonsensical
conversation.   I probably would  have [dropped the Existentialism
class] if I hadn't needed it as a  prerequisite. Interestingly
enough, both of us  would up doing  extremely  well in the
course."

which, if you think, goes on to illustrate rather  well that

"The demonstrable    correlation of opposites
is an image of the  transcendental  correlation
of   contradictories."

(Or 'Whatever', as L. J. Kramer would put it --  :-)).

What we need is Geary's list of polar opposites, vs.  contradictory
opposites
and other types of 'contrary' terms. It's  can't be as simple as red  and
non-red (cf. war and peace).

Cheers,

JL