[lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas Digest (editing) and Missouri)

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, John Wager <jwager@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:59:34 -0330

Quoting John Wager <jwager@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> John McCreery wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx
> > <mailto:juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >
> >       At the time I found it inconceivable that someone could decide,
> >     choose, what to believe -- that belief was belief largely
> >     untouched by the rational.  Something along the orders of "I
> >     decided not to be hungry" (again, vs., "I decided I was not
> >     hungry").  I have w/ some frequency noted that I can decide *what*
> >     to "believe" until the cows come home, but that that decision
> >     could not/would not actually change what my real beliefs *are*.
> >

> I think the term "decided" can mean many things here, some of which do
> not seem objectionable.  I take expressions like this to mean "I
> concluded that. . ." rather than "I decided."  A "decision" is reached;
> so is a conclusion. But conclusions are suggested by the evidence and
> are partly rational.  What seems to be similar in both terms is that
> they both include reference to the person doing the "deciding" or
> "concluding." This seems a reasonably humble expression of limitation;
> someone else in a similar position might come to a different conclusion
> or a different decision, either out of some kind of emotional
> considerations or just out of their superior rational abilities, but
> here is "my" conclusion or decision.

W.O.: Two points: 1) I'm not clear on what it means to say that conclusions
arrived at in an evidentiary manner "are partly rational." What would the other
"part" look like? And would this part have the authority to trump a conclusion
based on evidence and reasons?

2) John offers the empirical truth that persons in similar situations might
arrive at different judgements and maxims. Surely nobody would deny that as a
fact of psychology or sociology. But the philosophical question here is whether
it is at all rational for a person to claim that P is the judgement or maxim one
should hold in situation S and also claim that other persons in situation S,
possessed by differing (superior?) rational capacities or "emotional
considerations," ought to conclude otherwise. Such a judgement, in my mind, is
wholly irrational. Moral and epistemic imperatives of deliberation and
judgement are universally and necessarily applicable across slices of
historical time and cultural space. The validity of such imperatives are
constitutive of the autonomy and dignity of humanity and its education. (Not to
mention the concept of "universal human rights.") Am I missing something here?

Walter O
MUN

222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222