[lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas Digest V6 #52

  • From: erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:26:21 +0000

Date:   Sat, 21 Feb 2009 02:03:59
To: lit-ideas digest users<ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: lit-ideas Digest V6 #52

lit-ideas Digest        Fri, 20 Feb 2009        Volume: 06  Issue: 052

In This Issue:
                [lit-ideas] The Crisis of Credit Visualized
                [lit-ideas] Re: The Crisis of Credit Visualized
                [lit-ideas] Re: The Crisis of Credit Visualized
                [lit-ideas] Schadenfreude
                [lit-ideas] Fw: Schadenfreude

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:04:11 +0900
Subject: [lit-ideas] The Crisis of Credit Visualized
From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>

Analysis made interesting, even compelling.
http://www.crisisofcredit.com/
--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN

------------------------------

From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: The Crisis of Credit Visualized
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:32:00 -0600

Thank you, John.  Finally someone understands what I need to understand
anything -- illustrations!!!
It occurred to me while watching it that we should compel RP to produce a
classic comic series explaining what Wittgenstein means by "language games" but
only through drawings of course; Walter should be made to draw transcendent
images of Kantian obligations; compel McEvoy to Pop-Art Popper's schemes of
falsification (hint: start with black swans);  we should saddle Henninge with
gad-about Gadamer drawings; make Enns meet Rorty in illustrations of Pragmatism
and religious beliefs; force Palma to explain through graphic signs Heidegger's
"das Sein" (I'd love to see that!  I'm sure it would be thoroughly obscene).
Mike Chase has apparently abandoned us forever in favor of the cheap thrills of
Boul Mich salons, so we'll draw our own Danish-Cartoons-of-Mohammed of him
sitting with Sartre and sipping sissy French wine while wondering what to do.
Ursula Stange must be assigned the "Illustrated Guide to Why Philosophy
Matters"; and finally there's Erin Holder, erstwhile philosoph
 er-in-waiting, she should be forced to reexamine her apostasy by drawing
pictures of the thoughts of Cioran and Schopenhauer until she remembers that
her own cynicism is deeper even than the deep blue sea which she has fallen in
love with.
Better to drown impoverished in snarky cynicism than in salty seawater, say I.

That's what I'd like to see.

I don't know if Bill Ball still roams the halls of Lit-Id.  If he does, he
should know that he personally is not forgotten -- who could forget a guy in
coveralls flying a WWII fighter plane?!  But alas, I've forgotten his
philosophical bent (and, yes, I do consider all philosophers 'bent', else
they'd be out there fucking their brains out).  If I've left off any of the
pros on this list, mark it up to my not having any pictures to go by.

Mike Geary
Memphis

From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:09:38 -0500

I am just now reading the book "Black Swan" and I'm totally fascinated.
Veronica Caley

From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lit-ideas] Schadenfreude
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:19:10 -0600

It'll be a very sad day for this country, still I'm sure I'll rejoice when I
see my first Brooks Brother brother selling pencils on a street corner.  I
might even buy one.  Without any snide comment.
Mike Geary
Memphis

------------------------------

From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lit-ideas] Fw: Schadenfreude
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 21:35:42 -0600

In a message dated 2/20/2009 7:19:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
  It'll be a very sad day for this country, still I'm sure I'll rejoice when I
see my first Brooks Brother brother selling pencils on a street corner.  I
might even buy one.  Without any snide comment.

  Mike Geary
  Memphis
---

---- and next, if I can spooner,
you'll see him stealing corners on a straight pencil.

And _then_ your schadenfreude will be genuine

End of lit-ideas Digest V6 #52