[lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas Digest V6 #193

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:19:16 -0400

Hi, To All,

Simon: When it came down to it, Eric seemed to be concerned that libraries
would no longer be peaceful refuges from the rigours of global disharmony and
as such it would be good and proper to nuke the buggers to extinction. I wasn't
entirely sure that this was an appropriate response.

Yes, since I am involved in the Library Business (albeit public library
business where we give 'em what they want and not what they need...or what we
think they need, even), Eric's solution did seem a bit extreme to me.

As a sidebar, here is a library question for all of you in regards to viewing
academic libraries in this day, age, and time:

Describe a 21st Century liberal arts college library and how to integrate it
with instructional technology, undergraduate research, and the learning styles
of today’s students.

The trend is fascinating and I am wondering if it "works".  Or, are they yet
relevant?  If so, how or why?

Best,
Marlena in Missouri
Back from ALA Conference (American Library Association)