[lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas]

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:07:33 -0500

JK:
>>You DO remember what happened to Jesus, don'tcha?  All those Stations?<<

Good point.  I thought only Catholics knew about the Stations of the Cross --
14 of 'em.  I wonder how they decided to go with 14?  Could have been 31 or 5.
Ah, I miss being a Catholic.  Agnosticism needs rituals, is in bad need of
ritual.  So does Protestantism.  What do the Protestants do whenever they're
feeling blue?  They sing hymns -- bad hymns, not your Gregorian chant.  What do
the Catholics do?  They pray the rosary, genuflect, genuflect, genuflect, bless
themselves with holy water, sing Tantum Ergo, genuflect, genuflect, genuflect,
do the Stations of the Cross, stop in for Benediction, go to Confession,
genuflect, genuflect, genuflect, light a candle, do the Litany of the Saints,
do the Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary, do the Litany of Litany of the
Litanies, make Novena, do the nine first Fridays, stand, kneel, sit, stand,
kneel, sit, genuflect, genuflect, genuflect, do a procession with thurifer's
censer swinging, aspergillum sprinkling, ring bells at Mass --  I WANT TO BE A
CATHOLIC AGAIN -- they have all the fun and get to drink and gamble and dance
too and even fuck!!  Propagate, propagate, propagate.  And even worse things,
like missing Mass -- that's a ritual that requires a follow on ritual --
confession.

Ah, I miss being a Catholic.
Mike Geary
Memphis