[lit-ideas] [lit-id] Sex Slaves, NYT-attn Paul

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 14:09:33 -0700

FYI --In today's NYT (Select): Many similar columns and articles about
Canadian sex slaves, centered on Toronto and Vancouver--and wherever paying
males are found. This "boyfriend" routine, combined with unwitting
indentured servitude, is a typical scenario.In most instances within Asia,
young girls are sold into sex slavery outright, by their parents.
>ck
  ************************

June 1, 2006
Op-Ed Columnist
Hidden in Brothels, Slavery by Another Name
By BOB HERBERT
The word spread that there was a new girl at the brothel in Queens, and the
johns began lining up.

"I was crying all night," said Kika Cerpa in an interview last week. "One by
one they came in."

That first night, she said, "I had sex with 19 men."

Afterward, she took a shower, and then the man who had forced her into the
sex trade demanded his turn with her. When she refused (saying, "I can't
have sex with nobody - I feel like I'm dead"), he beat her up.

Ms. Cerpa came to the U.S. from Venezuela in 1992. A man she thought of as a
boyfriend convinced her to follow him to New York. Ms. Cerpa reluctantly
agreed, believing that she could get work as a nanny.

When she got here, her "boyfriend" and another woman took her passport and
demanded that Ms. Cerpa become a prostitute to work off debts that they said
the boyfriend had incurred. Threatened with bodily harm, and completely
intimidated, she complied.

"They took me to a house, and I sat in a room with other girls," she said.
"Men would come in, and I kept my head down the entire time."

There was nothing unusual about the predicament that confronted Ms. Cerpa -
not then, when she was 20, and not now. The demand for prostitutes (here in
New York and elsewhere) is much greater than the supply of women who want to
be prostitutes. So trafficking, the coercion of women and young girls into
the sex trade, is a flourishing industry.

The toll that trafficking takes is often horrific. In addition to the forced
prostitution, the women and children who are the victims of trafficking
become part of a landscape in which drug addiction, disease, mental health
problems, beatings and violent death are commonplace.

The worst moment in Ms. Cerpa's three-year entrapment in the hell of
prostitution occurred when a prostitute she had befriended declined to go
with a customer. The john became enraged and shot the woman. Ms. Cerpa ran
to her friend. "She was dead, lying there with her eyes open," she said.

It may seem peculiar, but there is no law against sex trafficking in the
state of New York - or most other states, for that matter. Many thousands of
women and children are coerced into the sex trade each year, and the pimps,
madams and other lowlifes who trap them are seldom subject to legal
sanctions commensurate with the severity of their crimes.

A bill has been introduced in the State Assembly that would create two new
crimes in New York: trafficking a person for sexual servitude and
trafficking a person for labor servitude. But that bill, which has
overwhelming support in the Assembly (including more than 100 co-sponsors),
has been stuck for some time in the Codes Committee.

This seems inexplicable, because you will find very few legislators lining
up (publicly, at least) with the soft-on-sex-traffickers crowd. I talked
yesterday to the Democratic speaker of the Assembly, Sheldon Silver, and
asked what was up.

He said that some of the language in the bill needed to be refined, and that
his staffers would be working on it later in the day. He said he thought the
Assembly would be able to pass the bill "within the next two weeks." It
would then go on to the Senate.

I hope so. The bill is a good one. It emphasizes the coercive aspect of
trafficking, which is really about human beings being bought and sold as
commodities - not just in the commercial sex trade, but also in exploitive
labor situations on farms and in factories and sweatshops.

Trafficking is much more widespread than most people realize. As the
advocacy group Sanctuary for Families has pointed out, "In our backyards and
communities, a slave trade is flourishing that makes a mockery of our belief
in civil and human rights."

The Assembly bill, whose primary sponsor is Jeffrey Dinowitz, a Bronx
Democrat, would make trafficking a felony, with penalties ranging from
probation for a first-time offender to a maximum of 15 years in prison. It
would modestly raise the penalties for patronizing a prostitute, making it
easier to jail chronic offenders. And it would provide a defense against
arrest for women who were coerced into prostitution.

Jane Manning, an attorney with the international women's rights organization
Equality Now, said of the trafficked women, "More often than not they are
the ones who are arrested and end up with criminal convictions that follow
them for the rest of their lives."

After seeing her friend murdered, Kika Cerpa cooperated with the police and
helped put the killer behind bars. After a long struggle, and with help from
Sanctuary for Families, she has managed to free herself from the pimps and
madams who had controlled her life, and still control so many others.

begin 666 spacer.gif
`
end

begin 666 01_.dat