[lit-ideas] Re: "lay the foundation for gentleness"

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:11:41 +0100

On 12-Feb-09, at 10:10 PM, Mike Geary wrote:

... Was Jesus handsome, do you think? ...

On a related topic:

I remember a comment made by a Roman Catholic priest during a sermon on religious imagery. He particularly criticized popular imagery of Our Lady of Sorrows (Mary), arguing that she probably looked at and after the time of Jesus' crucifixion more like (the prime minister of Israel at that time) Golda Meier.

(For those who can't visualize vivid images of Mary-at-the-foot-of-the- cross iconography or Golda Meier, compare the images found at

http://members.chello.nl/~l.de.bondt/OurLadyofSorrows.htm

and

http://www.icarito.cl/medio/lamina/0,0,38035857__185020474,00.html )

Chris Bruce,
following the latest developments
in the Roman Catholic Church with
great interest, in
Kiel, Germany

P.S. As another counter to the all-too-common blond-haired-blue-eyed Mary iconography, one finds a painting of Coretta Scott King as 'our lady of sorrows' at the following site:

http://negroartist.com/negro%20artist/NO%20LINK/ERIN%20CURRIER/pages/Coretta%20Scott%20King%20as%20Our%20Lady%20of%20Sorrows_jpg.htm

In a related vein:

I have heard of editions of the Bible which append some of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s letters to those of Paul.

I think we're back to a 'laying the foundations for gentleness' theme, now. How's Obama doing on that score?

-cb