[lit-ideas] Re: last try

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 09:04:55 +0100

It is not that I disagree with everything Palma says in his "last try" but,
sadly, nothing in that "last try" validly shows that -
>For W. the opposite is the case [and] "the tree is growing" is a fact
>ontologically prior to the alleged "thing" called growth or tree.>

What Palma writes does not come close to showing this is W's claim, valid or
not.

We may agree that, in TLP, W takes language and reality as isomorphic - as
having the same underlying structure. And W takes this isomorphism as the
explanation for how language can have purchase on reality.

But it does not follow from this isomorphism that

>For W. the opposite is the case [and] "the tree is growing" is a fact
>ontologically prior to the alleged "thing" called growth or tree.>

The whole notion of "ontologically prior" here deployed is not shown to be
derived from W's text.

And here we may bear in mind the question has been asked whether, given the
"isomorphism", W has a view on whether this isomorphism is a result of the
nature of language or of the nature of reality (or both in combination):
various people have speculated on this question, but it seems clear it is
speculation in that there is no textual evidence expressing W's view. We might
say then that there is clearly no textual evidence showing whether, "[f]or W"
in TLP, language or reality are "ontologically prior" to each other.

In the light of this, it might seem very mistaken that Palma thinks a claim of
this "ontologically prior" sort can be read into what Palma quotes from TLP.

And there are reasons to suggest that a claim of this sort is, for W in TLP,
cobblers - because such a claim attempts to go beyond not only what can be said
with sense but also what can be shown (where what can be shown is itself
limited in a way indicated by TLP).

Dnl
Ldn

On Friday, 20 June 2014, 8:02, Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One of the interesting facts about Wittgenstein is that he was acutely aware of
the problems of his fact-philosophy.
E.g. not ‘words’ are units of ontology but facts, for instance he has no theory
of the copula, he inherited the view that a definite article dissolves into
quantificational devices (this Russell circa 1904/1905.)
In that sense Wittgenstein is almost responsible for inventing the notion of
reference (a proposition refers to truth values etc.)
His having studied Frege (above all) and Russell, who was obsessed by
epistemology is rather clear