[lit-ideas] Re: last honest reporter missing

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:55:26 -0500

<<The networks challenged McCain's ads as false or distorted three times
> more often than they disputed Obama's commercials. A total of 18 stories
> suggested inaccuracies with one or more campaign commercials, with reporters
> challenging a total of 18 McCain ads as false, compared to just six Obama

Is it not remotely possible that it just could be that McCain has made false
or distorted claims in ads, has stated inaccuracies more often than Obama?
Factcheck.org is a pretty decent resource, I think.  They seem (to me) to be
even-handed; they pull no punches when correcting misleading or inaccurate
statements on Obama's part.  They dig fairly deep for the factual
information.  Yet there is an obviously higher number of conclusions they
come to re. erroneous statements on M's part than on O's.  Eric -- check the
website out and let me know what you think of it -- do you see it as a
leftist semi-MSM group?

> http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1828309,00.html
> Crushing on Obama
> By Ramesh Ponnuru Thursday, Jul. 31, 2008
>
> [if Time is too lowbrow, try Columbia Journalism Review]
> http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/tunned_into_ilence.php
> $tunned into $ilence
> Why isn't the media asking more questions about Obama's fundraising
> success?
>

> [the perception of bias is widespread]
>
> http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2008/cyb20081024.asp#1
>     "Voters overwhelmingly believe that the media wants Barack Obama to win
> the presidential election," a Pew Research Center for the People and the
> Press survey released Wednesday discovered. Specifically: "By a margin of
> 70%-9%, Americans say most journalists want to see Obama, not John McCain,
> win on Nov. 4. Another 8% say journalists don't favor either candidate, and
> 13% say they don't know which candidate most reporters support." The
> question: "Who do you think most newspaper reporters and TV journalists want
> to see win the presidential election -- Barack Obama or John McCain?"
> Unsurprisingly, 90 percent of Republicans recognized how journalists hope
> Obama is victorious, yet so did 62 percent of Democrats and independents.
>     Pew noted how "in recent presidential campaigns, voters repeatedly have
> said they thought journalists favored the Democratic candidate over the
> Republican," but "this year's margin is particularly wide." By comparison:
> "At this stage of the 2004 campaign, 50% of voters said most journalists
> wanted to see John Kerry win the election, while 22% said most journalists
> favored George Bush. In October 2000, 47% of voters said journalists wanted
> to see Al Gore win and 23% said most journalists wanted Bush to win. In
> 1996, 59% said journalists were pulling for Bill Clinton."
>     This year, by party affiliation: "In the current campaign, Republicans,
> Democrats and independents all feel that the media wants to see Obama win
> the election. Republicans are almost unanimous in their opinion: 90% of GOP
> voters say most journalists are pulling for Obama. More than six-in-ten
> Democratic and independent voters (62% each) say the same."

Julie Krueger

Visit www.VoteForChange.com. Register to vote and help spread the word.