[lit-ideas] Re: kid camps & passion -- p.s.

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:15:33 -0400

---- Original Message -----
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 6/25/2005 12:06:03 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: kid camps & passion -- p.s.

At this point, after having done considerable personal searching, reading,
studying, the best I can say for myself is that I'm an unaffiliated monotheist
still trying to find the right path to my Maker.

A.A.  I guess atheism isn't an option.  My apologies for not reading all the
posts first.

Andy Amago

Julie Krueger

========Original Message======== Subj:[lit-ideas] Re: kid camps & passion
Date:6/25/05 10:45:06 A.M. Central Daylight Time
From:writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx
To:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent on:

Julie -

I thought you were Jewish. Sending your Jewish daughter to a Christian bible
camp sounds even more problematic to me than watching a passionately
anti-semitic film about the passion of Christ. (And watching it without you by
her side to add some perspective to what she sees.)

This is not a bible camp with an interfaith component to it, is it? Unless I
overlooked that. Your daughter's not getting a perspective on the bible that
comes from comparing and contrasting the Jewish with the Christian versions.
She's getting a "true believer's" perspective without any countervailing view
to temper what she learns.

If this were in school, I would hope it would be looking at the bible as
literature. In a bible camp, I really don't think the teachers will be looking
at the bible as literature. And you won't be there. If they brought parents
together with their kids in a learning environment, that would be different.
She'll be there alone without the intellectual tools or maturity to raise
challenging questions and dare to openly dissent against what all the other
kids will blindingly accept as gospel.

I would spend some time with your daughter now examining, analyzing, and
discussing all the accepted wisdom she's ingested by herself.

Stan Spiegel
Portland, Maine

----- Original Messa
ge -----