[lit-ideas] Re: just a test

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 18:22:43 EST

Very amusing versions!  The ways of Google are mysterious indeed -- I
entered "back to back they faced each other drew their swords and shot each
other)
as what I thought was most likely the least varied line and ......nothing
relevant.  Ah well......95% of the time I get the search right.  And  thanks!

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: just a test
Date: 12/7/2006 5:10:00 P.M. Central Standard Time  From: _rpaul@xxxxxxxxx
(mailto:rpaul@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Julie:

> Okay, now I'm perplexed.   I used both Google & Wikipedia searching  using
> various lines  from the ditty and neither one showed anything except
> someone's
>  personal page or blog or something where a gal quotes the same stanza  in
> slightly different version.  Over the years I've come across  this
> thing in many
> variations.  I was sure there was a  second "stanza".  It  doesn't
> matter, isn't
> important,  but now that both Google and Wiki have let me  down I'm
perplexed!

From Wikipedia:

One fine day in the  middle of the night,
Two dead boys got up to fight.
Back-to-back they faced each other,
Drew their swords  and shot each other.
A deaf policeman heard the  noise,
And rushed to save the two dead boys.
A  paralyzed donkey walking by,
Kicked the copper in the  eye,
Sent him through a rubber wall,
Into a  dry ditch and drowned them all.
(If you don't believe this lie  is true,
Ask the blind man -- he saw it too!)

From the  British Columbia Folk Lore Society via  Google

http://www.folklore.bc.ca/Journalandindex.htm

(Click on the  relevant line.)

"One fine day in the middle of the night" (Journal  Versions)

1. One fine day in the middle of the  night,
2. Two dead boys* got up to fight, [*or  men]
3. Back to back they faced each other,
4.  Drew their swords and shot each other,

5. One was blind and  the other couldn't, see
6. So they chose a dummy for a  referee.
7. A blind man went to see fair play,
8. A dumb man went to shout "hooray!"

9. A paralysed donkey  passing by,
10. Kicked the blind man in the eye,
11. Knocked  him through a nine inch wall,
12. Into a dry ditch and drowned them  all,

13. A deaf policeman heard the noise,
14. And came  to arrest the two dead boys,
15. If you don't believe this story?s  true,
16. Ask the blind man he saw it too!

Robert Paul
The  Reed  Institute