[lit-ideas] Re: interaction of polls and public opinion

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 21:40:53 -0000

> and they find this by a second poll?

by a post-election poll or polls which show more people
claiming to vote for the winning party than actually did.
I.e., the post-election poll shows a percentage of survey
respondents
saying they voted for the winning party that's higher than the
percentage of the electorate who actually voted for the
winning party.

So it isn't

> 1) Who did you vote for?
> 2) No, come on, who did you REALLY vote for?

though it could also (in addition to the type of finding above,
that is)
be, where a panel of voters is used,

1) how are you going to vote

2) how did you vote