[lit-ideas] Re: interaction of polls and public opinion

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 19:15:20 -0000

> I thought it was a really good example.

It's an example.  I can't see anything good or bad about it
as opposed to another equally purely imaginary one
like (off the top of my head) 30 per cent of the population
wanting to become Scientologists would make that respectable,
or 30 per cent of the population wanting to kill their
neighbour's
cat would make that respectable (etc.etc.).

What's *interesting* is that it's that specific (purely
imaginary) one
that occurred to Eric.  The not purely imaginary one that
would have occurred to me is a rise in BNP support
(NB I am employing this *non-opinion-poll* example
as it makes a similar point; but I'll invent a finding of
poll support for the BNP if you like...)

incidentally it's Remembrance Weekend here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6138416.stm

any New Zealanders here?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6139656.stm

Judy Evans, Cardiff