[lit-ideas] Re: interaction of polls and public opinion

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 18:36:12 -0000

> I was just curious about the effect polling itself has on
> polls

or the effect known public opinion has on polls :) -- it's
thought the
polls here got 1992 wrong because people were ashamed to
say they were going to vote Tory:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shy_Tory_Factor

don't you ban poll publication for a certain time before the
election?

 and it gives you increasing permission to
> adopt what was once a true minority opinion. Convert to
> Islam? Maybe it won't be too wretched.

interesting you should invent that particular example, Eric.

Judy Evans, Cardiff