[lit-ideas] importance of elsewhere; peotry calendar - last week

  • From: "Mirembe Nantongo" <nantongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:44:48 +0100

Robert wrote:

>elsewhere is a big place.

It's also an important place:

<><><>
The Importance of Elsewhere       by Philip Larkin

Lonely in Ireland, since it was not home,
Strangeness made sense. The salt rebuff of speech,
Insisting so on difference, made me welcome:
Once that was recognised, we were in touch

Their draughty streets, end-on to hills, the faint
Archaic smell of dockland, like a stable,
The herring-hawker's cry, dwindling, went
To prove me separate, not unworkable.

Living in England has no such excuse:
These are my customs and establishments
It would be much more serious to refuse.
Here no elsewhere underwrites my existence.

<><><>
Last week of poetry month coming up:

April 26: David Ritchie
April 27: Chris Bruce