[lit-ideas] Re: hypothetical?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:55:35 -0500

>>Her begging spiel always began with, "May I ask you a question?" which was intended to draw people into her subsequent request for money.

>>One day, I answered, "You already have." and walked on.

RP: This is sometimes called 'street logic,' a relatively new area in informal syllogistics.

---

"May I ask you a question?"

Depending on my syllogistic mood, the answer varied. When in E mood, I replied, "No!" and stalked off ... or branched off as the case may be.

Go figure.

Prior analytics of this beggar had convinced me she was not an invalid. Following the Law of the Excluded Mugger, I soon made it a future contingent condition to walk on the other side of Broadway.

Yours,
N. Plus One Sorites
Hilbert's Hotel