[lit-ideas] Re: hypothetical?

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 13:21:59 -0800

Eric asks the J. L. Austin Society for advice:

Is the question

        "May I ask a hypothetical question?"

itself a hypothetical question?

Opinion is divided. Some say that it is a simple question analogous to 'May I open the window?' Others would side with Eric (if they were asked) when he asks

Doesn't that question above ask, in effect:

"If I were to ask a hypothetical question, would you be receptive to it?"

However, when the question beginning 'Doesn't..., above was put to a vote at the general meeting, the majority sided with one member's suggestion that the question beginning 'If I were to...' passes the Ann Landers Test For Phatic Communication, insofar as it is intended to elicit warm and fuzzy feelings in the auditor, rather than to elicit empirically verifiable information about the auditor's actual dispositions, and is thus of interest primarily to neo-Griceans.

So is it a performative statement/question?*

No.
______

Years ago, when walking home from work, I frequently encountered a lady trying to beg money outside an OTB establishment along my route. Living in NYC, one develops a sense of who to help or avoid.

Her begging spiel always began with, "May I ask you a question?" which was intended to draw people into her subsequent request for money.

One day, I answered, "You already have." and walked on.

This is sometimes called 'street logic,' a relatively new area in informal syllogistics.

Frank Bacon
Department of Clinical Semantics
Mutton College