[lit-ideas] hollow

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 14:51:41 +0000

French structuralist all dead mistah kurtz

Dato: Tirsdag 21. april 2015 07.09

lit-ideas Digest
Mon, 20 Apr 2015    Volume: 12  Issue:
102

In This Issue:
        [lit-ideas] Re: Once
in a blue moon

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 19:05:17 -0500
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Once in a blue moon
From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>

Quoting from Omar's post: "Very occasionally, the moon actually does appear
to be blue."
I don't know  which philosopher it is, but surely one of them out there
echoes my contention that if the moon "appears" blue then the moon is blue.
Is is as is, not as it "really" is under some other circumstance.
In fact, considering that color is but the name given to a certain frequency
of electromagnetic radiation that is visible (to most humans) there's no such
thing as the "true" color of anything.  Color is predicated only of objects
that reflect electromagnetic radiation and then only when the reflected
radiation is apprehended by the sight sensors.  So the moon is sometimes
white, sometimes blue, sometimes orange, sometimes redish, sometimes
otherwise.  The moon has no COLOR it has reflectors only.  Now my contention
is that ALL the rest of our experiences of the world are of the same
problematic schema.  We deal with it as it appears to us at this or that
time, never, knowingly,  never as it truly is.  Truth has varying
wavelengths. We are but our senses. Amen.  Yes, I do love the term:
"electromagnetic radiation". In fact, I genuflect to it though I hardly know
what it means.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Vaguely interesting.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/once-in-a-blue-moon.html

Very occasionally, the moon actually does appear to be blue. This >
sometimes occurs after a volcanic eruption, like that of Krakatao in 1883.
Dust particles in the atmosphere are normally of a size to diffract blue >
light, making the moon appear reddish at sunset. Larger volcanic dust >
particles diffract red light, making the moon appear bluish.

End of lit-ideas Digest V12 #102

To change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub, vacation on/off, digest
on/off), visit www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html