[lit-ideas] Re: heine & glory

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 10:52:24 -0600

Mike Geary wrote:
. . . . Brilliant be ye? Death doesn't give a fart. Loving and kindful? Eat shit and die, says Death. We belong to Death from the moment we're conceived. So don't complain if you're shot dead in a shopping mall or blown to bits in a market in Baghdad. Or washed away by a tidal wave or torn apart by your car. You had it coming. We all do. But what an adventure.
Unlike many (most?) "death trips," Dante's journey wasn't just about death, or the devil, or even God. It was also (and, today, mostly?) about habits. What kind of life feels like hell even when alive? What kind of life does NOT feel like hell? His catalog of habits seems as good today as it did then: A habitual life of lust is a life of being out of control, being blown about by a wind that won't let you rest. A life of flattery is a life of verbal diarrhea that eventually feels like one is drowning in shit. A life of betrayal eventually freezes into ice. A life of anger eventually feels as thought he softest, gentlest touch of snow from the object of hatred is felt as burning flame. A life of running around aimlessly eventually feels futile and those tiny choices start to sting like wasps. This isn't about God, or death, or hell, or the devil, or even about death: It's about what drags you down into despair or what you can "live with." Sometimes we really WISH that death was waiting for us round the next corner, or in the shoe department, because then we wouldn't have to find out the hard way what we can "live with" and what we can't.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                  Lisle, IL, USA