[lit-ideas] Re: heine & glory

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 20:58:25 -0500

Mike: My argument is just a vestige of my former religious beliefs.

Eric: In other words, you've constructed a world view on the scaffolding of a belief system you no longer accept -- in order to support claims derived from your disappointment at no longer accepting those claims.

Mike: Without eternity and an eternal meaning-giver there is no "real" meaning. .... And then we die. Then there is nothing. . . . . "Meaning" should be made of more enduring stuff, that's all I'm saying.

Eric: In my opinion, you expect too much of "meaning" and things that are "real."

Real Meaning should be enduring -- why precisely?

"Then there is nothing," you wrote. How can that be? "Nothing" is a concept learned while alive, and exists in opposition to "something," just as dark and light, sound and silence. So there cannot be nothing, which is peculiar to existence, as is nonexistence.

This is poet to poet, not Yostygnosis versus Gearyality. Seems like an odd position from which to write. Yet you do manage to write so well.

Best,
Eric