[lit-ideas] guidelines

  • From: dsavory@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:14:58 -0600 (MDT)

As someone who took over the chiding of posters to help moderate Phil-Lit, I feel like it may be helpful to (re-)introduce some guidelines for posting.

1) Construct small posts. If you are responding to someone else's post, remove everything that isn't relevant especially the headers and footers as well as the indent marks. Wheat from the chaff please.

2) Construct interesting posts. Single throwaway quips are no better than long-winded tales.

3) Don't chat. That's for teens.

4) Don't be pedantic. That's for bores.

5) Use your own material. No cutting and pasting to expand on a topic. No name-dropping unless it's something juicy in accordance with stricture #6 below.

6) Be interesting. Did I say that already? Imagine we're sitting by the pool and write in the way you'd converse if it turned out we were all really good looking and people you'd want to engage with and impress.

David Savory

"blessed are the cheesemakers"