[lit-ideas] Re: grades & kleenex

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 20:46:26 +0100

> **Actually, the number of euphemisms is quite extensive -- some rather
> comic.

Here too.

> Should a form ask for ones "gender" or "sex" or is either truly
> correct??

They should say "sex", as what they want to know is whether you're a man or
a woman (normally they mean your sex at birth).  They don't that is want to
know whether you're a gender-bender, or how closely you conform to the
"gender norm" of masculine.

> > Back to sex and sex.

Yes, sorry. But you missed a great show! He wasn't degrading/degraded, it
was really all rather charming, as well as hilarious. So I am sorry if I've
given a wrong impression of ScoobyDoo's friend.

>>(winding-up?"
> **Nah, honestly not confident of correct usage

I'd say my usage is the correct one, but there doesn't seem to be an agreed
one.

>- (also still confused
> by the plural of person as well: "people" or "persons")??.

I think that depends on the context. But I'm not sure.  So I gave up and
googled, and found something genuinely interesting (IMO).  Not only is our
charity that helps what it calls "missing  people" and their families
called The National Missing Persons Helpline, but, the use of "persons"
rather than "people" is both widespread and not new.  A law company's web
page helpfullly says "Missing Irish People is a website to help locate
Irish missing persons", reinforcing my feeling that "persons" was
originally legal phrasing.

Interesting. But the real answer to your question is probably that both are
fine.

>>(laughing about S's actor friend [actually it wasn't just that, the whole
evening tended to levity])

> **My thoughts at present: looking forward to semester's end and a break
> from papers, grades, and administrators...

Ah yes.  Ours ends in June but the summer vacation is not necessarily a
break from all that stuff. Still it was enough of a break for me to
understand -- and I think you haven't long to go now.

Judy Evans
jaye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx