[lit-ideas] Re: grades & kleenex

  • From: "Steven G. Cameron" <stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 14:28:27 -0400

Judith Evans wrote:

> I don't know what you mean by truly preferred.  Way back when second-wave
> feminism began, and indeed, before that, everybody used "sex"/"the sexes"
> to refer to the fact that there were two, er, sexes.  Cf _The Second Sex_.)
> "Gender", then, referred to (and, "gender", then, refers to) the social
> constructs of "woman" and "man". This is now thought by feminists (except
> for me...) to be hopelessly passe.  But the reasons for this have nothing
> whatsoever to do with the fact that "sex" is also used as shorthand for
> sexual intercourse.  (Over here people say "wanna fuck?", but I accept that
> over there, people may say "do you want to have sex?".)

**Actually, the number of euphemisms is quite extensive -- some rather
comic. Should a form ask for ones "gender" or "sex" or is either truly
correct??

> Talking of over there and over here... the actor in Scoobydoo was on one of
> our main chat shows tonight; nice man; he wasn't used to our quaint customs
> like guests sitting around boozing together, and he arrived "on stage"
> *hammered*.
>
> Back to sex and sex.  I see no need for confusion. I'd say it's obvious
> that laws that promote sexual equality aren't about the right of individual
> A to "have as much sex" as individual B.  As for "gender" as a pomo term,
> well, as my mini-drone suggests, "gender" as a non-grammatical term is
> hardly new.
>
> Are you winding me up?

**Nah, honestly not confident of correct usage -- (also still confused
by the plural of person as well: "people" or "persons")??.

> That isn't a hostile question. I thought people knew
> about the basic sex-gender usage/s, if not about the more arcane aspects of
> the more recent stuff.

**It's not solely about generalities, but rather part of instruction --
would like to direct the students correctly.

> If this is a bit frivolous, it's because I'm still thinking (benignly)
> about ScoobyDoo's hammered  friend.

**My thoughts at present: looking forward to semester's end and a break
from papers, grades, and administrators...

TC,

/Steve Cameron, NJ