[lit-ideas] gossip

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 00:11:00 -0500

From Michael Shermer's "The Science of Good and Evil"

The etymology of the word "gossip", in fact, is enlightening. The root stem is "godsib," or "god' and "sib," and means "akin or related." Its early use, as traced through the OED, included "one who has contracted spiritual affinity with another," "a godfather or god mother," "a sponsor," and "applied to a woman's female friends invite to be present at birth" (where they would gossip). (in on of its earlirst uses in 1386, for example, Chaucer wrote: "A womman may in no lasse synne assemblen with hire godsib, than with hire owene flesshly brother.") The word then mutated into talk surrounding those who are akin or related to us, and eventually to "one who delights in idle talk," as we employ it today.

Not surprisingly, we are especially interested in gossiping about the activities of another that most affect our inclusive fitness, that is, our reproductive success, the reproductive success of our relatives, and the reciprocation of those around us. Normal gossip is about relatives, close friends, and those in our immediate sphere of influence in he community, plus members of the community or society that are high ranking or have high social status. It is here where we find our favorite subjects of gossip -- sex, generosity, cheating, aggression, violence, social status and standings, birth and deaths, political and religious commitments, physical and psychological health, and the various nuances of human relations, particularly friendships and alliances. Gossip is the stuff of which not only soap operas but alls grand operas are made.

I guess you could extend this to GLOBAL interaction.

reading a.g.c. religiously
Paul

[insert pithy quote here]
Paul Stone