[lit-ideas] Re: getting serious about Jupiter

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 18:52:40 -0000

Dear Sargent Roc,

You will of course accept my apologies for the misunderstanding over your choice of nomenclature. We are all, in some way or another, merely derivatives of past masters and just because, in your case, there is a distinct aspect of extinction, well it's understandable; I'm told that flightless birds are invariably doomed, a rule that seems to apply right across the galaxy.

Curly did laugh when I reminded her of you. Well I say laugh, but it was more of a snigger I suppose and it did take her an hour or so to retrieve the diary entry from her neural database. That said, there was a certain amount of amusement in the room (I should add that this took place in the midst of a dinner party for fifty eminent planetary scientists and their partners) when Curly described the actual size of your neutron cannon. The next day one of the guests (a female physiologist) decided to cancel her planned lecture on 'The Ubiquitous Male' - this after I found time to disabuse her of the notion that neutron cannons are in any way alike.

It seems you have been mistaken in your beliefs about the 'Great American Rapture'. What was generally thought of as a mass ascencion, was in fact a continent-wide outbreak of fatal gastric wind brought on by endemic obesity. Unfortunately, due to an outbreak of typos resulting from over-large finger tips (a by-product of the endemic), Rapture replaced Rupture. Two centuries later, it falls on me to disabuse you of the proud footnote in the history of American religiosity; the Supreme Being works alone and doesn't like hot dogs.

Interesting that you should mention the 'British Labour Party' because, as a result of your correspondence, I initiated a Focus Group examination of current European attitudes towards 'Americans'. The specific question asked was: Do you think Americanism is poised for a comeback? The results were predictable enough: Eighty seven per cent thought that Argentinians usually perspire, six point three seven per cent disagreed with the policy, four point one two per cent thought that they should have tea rather than coffee and the remainder fell asleep. So you see, Europe is indeed strongly united in their willingness to provide under arm deodorant to Latin Americans.

I hope this answers all your concerns.

Yours (well let's not dwell on yours) mine's enough to reach beyond the stars

Lord Blake
Sexual Siesmologist