[lit-ideas] Re: gashlycrumb tinies

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:11:58 EDT

I'm glad you posted that link, Robert -- my bit of beauty for the day, a
respite from chaos.  The pictures are stunning.  I can't imagine what  the
ranges
look like "in person".  How did I not know about the ice  towers??  I am awed
by them.  I'm an ocean person, but when we drove  through the Grand Tetons
last year it gave me a new appreciation for things  lofty and grand.  I imagine
that in ice and forget how to think.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: gashlycrumb
tinies  Date: 7/30/05 3:01:11 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_robert.paul@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:robert.paul@xxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Yost wrote:

> RP:  And  Annapurna is just a character in Finnegans Wake.
>
> Did you know  that Erin hiked the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal? That's a
> 200 mile  journey around the Annapurna Himal, up the Marsyangdi River
> valley to  Thorong La, a three-mile high pass, and a majestic trek down
> to the  Khali Gandaki River valley. She carried her gashlycrumb tinies
> lunch  box with her. It was either that or Hegel's Phenomenology.

Just a note of  clarification: it was the Gasherbrum tinies that she
carried. A complete  account of her her journey can be found in the
American Alpine Journal for  2004, or  at

http://www.summitpost.org/show/mountain_link.pl/mountain_id/2421

Robert  Paul,

waiting for Hegelian enlightenment, or hypoxia, whichever comes  first.