[lit-ideas] fractals

  • From: dsavory@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:16:59 -0600 (MDT)

The best prophylaxis to brake these hubristic heuristic tendencies is
Wittgenstein's checker: The world is everything that is the case, and that
of which we cannot speak, of that we must remain silent.

Wasn't it Borges who wrote that for a map to be sufficiently detailed as to replicate the landscape
it would would have to be huge- so huge that it would become a feature of the landscape? Thus
it is that to deeply understand we must intrude and disturb, making everything different.

David Savory