[lit-ideas] Re: flu vaccine

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:35:57 EDT

In a message dated 10/29/2004 9:04:34 AM Central Daylight Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
But,  being pure capitalism, with no restrictions by government, you could
solve the  problem by going into your basement and mixing up a nice sugar
solution and  hawking it and making a bundle.

 Actually, that is exactly what happened, once in Kansas City.   (Though it
was not a nice sugar solution).  "Ewing Kauffman founded Marion  Laboratories
Inc., operating out of his modest Kansas City residence. He used  his middle
name, rather than his last name, so customers would not perceive him  as a
one-man operation. By 1989, when Marion Laboratories was sold to Merrell  Dow,
it
had become a global diversified pharmaceutical giant with annual sales  of
nearly $1 billion."

He had been a pharmeucetical salesman--and was the top one at the company
where he worked.  He was given a 'cap' on how much he could make (no matter
how
much he sold) and it made him cross.  So, he ended up mixing up batches  of
similar medicines to what he had been selling and then would go out and  sell
them.   (I don't remember all the details--have heard this story  many times,
though, since his foundation is located here in KC and they let lots  of groups
use their facilities...)

"They obviously have information you don't have as to where outbreaks are
most likely and so on.  What do you think they're doing with the  vaccine?
Selling it on street corners for a profit?  If they are,  shoot yourself now."

I do have to get that gun.  <g>  You should hear the  speculation as to where
it is going--library-types must be the most cynical in  the Universe.  (maybe
that is why we do the research--we don't trust  anyone...hm...)

"Not giving the CDC the right to determine who gets what is like not having
generals during a war.  Everyone could just go out and find a gun and start
shooting based on what they think is going on."

Oh, kind of like in Iraq?  (You did hear about the new 'smack on the  head'
that the Bush handlers had to take care of, right?  The one where  Rudy from
NYC said that it was 'the troops' fault that the tons of explosives
disappeared...  You just know those guys earn their money figuring out how  to
spin all
the gaffes made by Bush or on his behalf...)

You do have a good point about the funding for the CDC being cut.  I  am sure
that, like most people, they do the best with what they have.

My point, though, was more to say that if we are really going to do this
governmental health thing, then why don't we really do it and do it so it
works?
  Coordinate it, give them the tools to make it work and  all of that.  Or,
if we are not, then let's really not...

Dreaming about making $$ in pharmeucetical sales,
"Better Living Through Chemistry" Marlena in Missouri