[lit-ideas] Re: flu vaccine

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:03:39 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

The 1918 pandemic started (those who have read this week's Newsweek will know
this) in Kansas City, in the U.S.A. in the same way SARS began in Asia:
proximity of people and animals.  No question that that strain was uncommonly
virulent, but the war fanned the fire into a conflagration.  Or so says
Newsweek.  IMO Paul is right, there's a lot of scare stuff in here too.  IMO
too, people love a catastrophe, until they get bored with it.  This shortage
does say something about our ability to respond to a biological attack though.

Andy