[lit-ideas] Re: flu vaccine

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:32:47 -0400

As I have said before, of COURSE the elderly, the very young and anyone
with compromised immune systems as well as people who are liable to be in
contact with flu SHOULD definitely get a flu shot -- that's prudent. That
being said:

At 03:22 PM 10/26/2004, you wrote:
>Because the War put men in very close proximity.  This week's cover story
>in Newsweek is on the flu and the flu vaccine shortage.  I don't have the
>link.  Newsweek.com should bring it up.

Yes, they [the powers that be] even cancelled the Stanley Cup (heaven
forbid) that year.

One of the only things about Michael Moore that I agree with is his
assertion that the media continues to whip people into a frenzy about
increasingly questionable "emergencies". There's a wind-chill factor, a
humidex reading, a smog alert, an air advisory, tornado watches, hallowe'en
warnings [WHAT?] -- all intended to give us information, all the while,
actually raising alarm. Turkey Lurkey, eat your heart out -- we've got
Amber alerts.

My point was that just as recently as 10 years ago, there was NO discussion
of flu shots and it was unheard of to get them when I was a kid ('70s).
I've never known or heard of ANYONE who was otherwise normally healthy who
died of the FLU. Every year is not an epidemic and this continual
prophylactic treatment [in the case of many diseases] is what is getting us
in the soup with more and more immune bugs. The sense of entitlement for a
flu shot is just weird.

Someone mentioned that 'the experts' were talking of 30 year cycles or some
nonsense like that for these epidemics. Please! There are no cycles to
this. When a number of things come together, a strong strain of flu, a huge
number of malnourished, overworked, highly-stressed, closely contacted,
unbathed people get together, OF COURSE you are going to get an outbreak.
But WHERE is that happening? Every year the 'experts' say "this year's flu
is a particularly STRONG form". Nothing "particular" if it happens every
year. It's scare tactics. It's a very successful marketing campaign by the
flu shot producers. Ironically, they were a little too successful and now
everyone thinks they need a shot.

Yeah, I hear you say "but Paul, it's progress, people used NOT to have
running water, get with the program." The fact [even though Andreas calls
it BOGUS] that a person [if you can call him that] sued a vaccination
company because he got the flu after getting vaccinated is indicative of
WHY the American people are blaming their government for this paucity of
the flu shots. "Give me what I want and it better be more than PERFECT...
but it better not inconvenience me or you'll PAY!" Maybe Kerry will win
afterall.

a young curmudgeon,

paul

Paul Stone