[lit-ideas] flu vaccine

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:25:06 EDT

There are a number of scientist, doctor, and attorney types on this list --
the Mother of a friend of my daughter's sent me this.  Can anyone  vouch for
the validity or lack thereof of any of it?

Julie Krueger
wondering

<<How the vaccine works:
Influenza vaccine is produced  by growing the virus in eggs. The virus is
killed
and processed to create  the vaccine, which is given by injection under the
skin.
The body then  produces antibodies to the virus over the next two to four
weeks.
If the  immunized person then comes into contact with the influenza virus,
the
antibodies attack and kill the virus before it has a chance to cause
infection.
The vaccine contains the 3 most likely strains to be active  during the "flu
season"

Why the shortage:

Almost  half of the nation's flu vaccine will not be delivered this year.
Chiron,
a  major manufacturer of flu vaccine, will not be distributing any influenza
vaccine this flu season. Chiron was to make 46-48 million doses vaccine for
the
United States. Chiron is a British company. Recently British health
officials
stopped Chiron from distributing and making the vaccine when  inspectors
found
unsanitary conditions in the labs. Some lots of the vaccine  were recalled
and
destroyed.

Why is our vaccine made in the UK  and not the US?

The major pharmaceutical companies in the US  provided almost 90% of the
nations
flu vaccine at one time. They did this  despite a very low profit margin for
the
product. Basically, they were doing  us a favor. In the late
80's a man from North Carolina who had received the  vaccine got the flu. The
strain he caught was one of the strains in that  years vaccine made by a US
company. What did he do? He sued and he won. He  was awarded almost $5
million!
After that case was appealed and lost, most  US pharmaceutical companies
stopped
making the vaccine. The liability out  weighed the profit margin. Since UK
and
Canadian laws prohibit such  frivolous law suits UK and Canadian companies
began
selling the vaccine in  the US. >>