[lit-ideas] Re: fiction or non

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 01:59:57 EST

So, is it 14-year old reading material?

Julie Krueger
still wondering and probably needing to read the thing  herself

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] fiction or non  Date:
1/12/06 1:11:11 PM Central Standard Time  From: _pas@xxxxxxxxx
(mailto:pas@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent
on:
My apologies to Carol if my initial response to  this thread seemed a little
pissy. It's just that I had just begun the Frey  book and all of a sudden it
was obvious that there was some contention  brewing.

In just two days, he's all over the news and talkshows. I gather  he did
Larry King last night. So... it's unavoidable now to learn something  about
the controversy. A friend sent me a link to www.thesmokinggun.com who  have
apparently been investigating Mr. Frey for the past three months. They  were
the ones to "uncover" him. The interesting thing is that, as of now,  I'm on
page 94 out of 432 and EVERYTHING that the smoking gun refers to in  their
write-up is ALREADY known by me. That is, I'm wondering if any of  these
strenuous objectors have even read the whole book.

With that,  let me take a stab at resuming a very interesting discussion
initiated by  Carol and sort of quashed by my response.

CK: Offered up for discussion,  in light of our recent experience with a
fictional character participating in  this list, and members' planned
reading.

1. Who's who, and does it  matter as long as the book is entertaining?

Not if all the names are  changed. Anyone who comes out of the woodwork and
says "that's me" is  implicating themselves not being 'impugned' by the
author. This book is not  remotely 'entertaining' and that's probably why,
if it is fiction, it  wouldn't sell as fiction. As a true story, it's
certainly interesting and a  real page-turner. If I had unlimited time (you
know, away from work and  sleep and stuff) I would probably read it in a
single sitting. Does it  matter to me whether it's true? Not really.

2. What's what, and does it  matter as long as the book is entertaining?

Has anyone ever read Philip  Roth's "Operation: Shylock"? Which
classification is that? How do you  know?

3. Is disguising autobiography as fiction less irritating (or  wrong) than
telling a fiction and calling it autobiography?

Is it  wrong for someone to write "the funniest book of the year" on the
cover of  [Margaret Atwood's Robber Bride] a novel which I read without so
much as  smiling?

The first quote on my copy of Frey's book says "James Frey's  staggering
recovery memoir could well be seen as the final word on the  topic"... the
second says "the most lacerating tale of drug addiction since  William S.
Burroughs' Junky." And even from the feel-good magazine (People)  they say
"Anyone who has ever felt broken and wished for a better life will  find
inspiration in Frey's Story".

I cannot even remotely disagree  with ANY of these cut quotes.

Perhaps the best one is "ripping,  gripping... It's a staggeringly sober
book whose stylistic tics are  well-suited to its subject matter, and a
finger in the eye of the culture of  complaint... engrossing"

This last one, coupled with Frey's purported  denial of AA's 12 Step Program
and his constant denial of GOD is PROBABLY  what is, at the bottom, so
contentious about this book. It IS a finger in  the eye of the culture of
complaint. The way the James of the novel deals  with is situation is very,
very admirable. For someone so obviously weak to  be so uncommonly strong is
THE selling point. Whether it's true or not, it's  a compelling story. For
me, I'm reading story. It simply doesn't occur to me  to think repeatedly
"oh, he survived?" Of course he did, he wrote the book  10 years later. It's
like watching "Titanic" and being amazed at the final  outcome.

On a very personal note, I'll tell you, reading this book, as  someone who
wavers daily about whether I may be an abuser of alcohol, I have  to say
that reading this, if even 1/10 of it IS true, I can honestly say  "hmm... I
guess I'm really not that bad."

not that bad, really, no  really
Paul

Paul Stone