[lit-ideas] Re: fiction or non

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:08:40 -0500

Delightful Carol ecrit: Is disguising autobiography as fiction less irritating (or wrong) than
telling a fiction and calling it autobiography?

I can understand someone blurring the distinction between autobiography and fiction. It depends on the motive of the writer and how they hype it. Henry Miller's carefully crafted version of autobiography was also truthful, as confirmed by Nin's journals.

This guy, on the other hand, could just be a marketing robopath. Imagine the pitch:
"It's like _Our Lady of the Flowers_ and the _Thief's Journal_, only straight, meets Sean Connery in "The Rock." Yeah I'm bad, real bad. For the movie treatment, I see Val Kilmer or even Daniel Day Lewis."