[lit-ideas] fallibility

  • From: palma@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 09:29:57 -0500 (EST)

This being very long and boring, I simply decided to take up the challenge
by M. McEvoy. (see the final paragraph)

Consider the following state of affairs
[BOX]APG PALMA [that is me] knows that there is an infinity of
primes.[BOX]

Note: the issue is not trivial, it does not depend on the definition of
"prime", it does not depend on what distinctions are "drawn" by catholic
theologians or M. McEvoy. There are countless facts (very similar in
nature to this --the position of the zeros in the R[iemann] zeta function,
Goldbach's thrm, etc.-) that I do not know.
Now M. McEvoy, would you tell me what is the fallibility condition of
the embedded clause in the [BOXED] sentence?

avoid, if you please, any doctrinal quotation from Popper and his clique
(Lakatos et alia) since it would make this an exegetical point.
I would be grateful if you give me the fallibility condition, e.g. under
what condition the set of primes would be a finite set.

Thank you

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Donal McEvoy wrote:

> More comment on Robert Paul's post.
>
> --- Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > If this means that people often use the word 'know,' and 'knowledge,' in
> > various ways, ways which do not depend on any very strict conception of
> > what it is to know something, this is certainly true.
>
> Yet....
>
> > But the very idea of knowing is that it is opposed to something, namely,
> > believing, hoping, guessing, surmising, wondering, predicting, and so
> > on.
>
> This is quite a leap. What has been accepted is that "knowing" _may be_
> defined so that 'to know x' entails 'x is true' and, conversely, if 'x' is
> false then no one can 'know x'. _Given this definition_ 'knowing' is
> "opposed" to any epistemic state which does not entail the truth of 'x' e.g.
> 'I guess x' 'I believe x', 'I predict x' etc.
>
> What this means, however, is not that the "very idea of knowing..is opposed"
> to guessing etc. [an essentialist claim as to the essential character of
> knowledge] but that a _particular_ idea or definition of 'knowing' opposes
> this epistemic state to any state where it is not necessary that 'x is true'.
>

> This does not amount to an argument in favour of that _particular_
> definition; rather it is merely an assertion of that definition. It is an
> assertion that mistakenly treats this _particular_ definition as if it is the
> only possible one, as if this definition is part of the "very idea of
> knowing" - and makes this assertion despite conceding that ordinary usage
> does not uniformly adhere to such a stipulation.
>
> >To say that someone knows something is to mark a distinction, a
> > distinction that's been around at least since Plato struggled with it in
> > Meno and Theatetus.
>
> But equally couldn't we insist that 'believe' must mark a distinction - must
> be opposed to mere 'guessing'; and 'guessing' must mark a distinction - must
> be opposed to 'predicting'. And so on. This is a poor argument because it is
> possible that whatever distinctions might be drawn [here e.g. we might
> 'guess' what happened in the past, but we do not 'predict' it; we might
> 'guess' that perhaps such-and-such happened but not 'believe' it] there is
> overlap. In fact, if all knowledge is guesswork - the view I am defending -it
> is pointless to oppose 'knowing' and 'guessing'.
>
> We should not tie the issue of whether 'x is true' to the concept of
> 'knowing' but take this issue as falling to be decided according to the
> concept of 'truth'. Conversely, we should accept that we can 'know' what is
> false - 'know' in the sense of believe it.
>
> >The conception of knowledge that underlies S also
> > underlies Aquinas' struggle with the problem of God's knowledge of
> > future contingents. If God knows everything, then what he knows must be
> > true, and if true, for any statement about some future condition you
> > care to mention, thus fated. If God knew everything right from the
> [...]

off address: #201 West Building, Philosophy, Duke University
box 90743, Durham, NC 27708
home ph#: [1] 9196881856
cellph#: [1[] 9195997065 (voicemail is available on said numbers)
email palma@xxxxxxxx