[lit-ideas] Re: faith

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 15:44:09 -0400

Perhaps the groundedness, the community, the ritual, the tradition, the
safety and the certainty all contribute to that longer, healthier,
happier life.  But it's a self-report for the most part.  If you don't
like pesky questions, you're going to consider yourself happier if you
don't have them.  And happiness does the rest (the health and the
longevity).

Maybe, in terms of the empiricism, the religious are more homogenous
than the non-religious, and so outcount the non-religious as
(self-proclaimed) happy.  Or the unhappy are unhappy inside religion and
leave.   Or those outside religion find it harder to define what
happiness is.  Or...or...

All I really know is that I'm happy with the pesky questions...

Ursula
in North Bay, ON