[lit-ideas] Re: fahreheit

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:08:12 EDT

My children, at least, are over-exposed.  Considering that my husband and I
have frequent, passionate discussions re. religion and politics both.  I have
taken my kiddos to many Jewish services and festivals, to a couple of local
Protestant churches, and they have attended Church with friends of several
denominations.  I plan to take them to a Catholic Mass soon.  I was raised in a
very
conservative religious environment which was as close to brainwashing as
indoctrination comes.  I want to make my children aware of the variety of
beliefs
there are so that they can make informed choices, can discover for themselves,
what they believe.  Jim tells me I'm confusing them.  I did not want to
choose their belief system for them.  Considering that after 9/11 Jim and I
have
both been obsessed with ME stuff, the News, CNN, reading books on the ME, and
discuss it passionately, also, and that neither one of us hide our political
thoughts and that Bronnie listens very, very carefully and asks me astute
questions about our conversations, she's over-exposed to current events.  I
don't
know that you can shelter kids from current events these days.  I don't know if
would want to, were I able.  Bronnie has a best friend whose Mother is a
staunch far right-wing Republican.  As the best friend asserts that she adores
Bush, Bronnie does get a small dose of the other perspective <g>.  We had a
fairly lengthy discussion of the issues of legislating morality (i.e. abortion,
pot) the other day.  She now has a good understanding of some of the
complexities
and is considering what she thinks about the issues.  That's a good sign.
Julie Krueger