[lit-ideas] Re: ...est pro patria mori

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:00:20 -0600

I would read that poem to my high school English classes back in 1967 thru 72. It was always frowned on and thought suspiciously close to treason, but there it was in all the anthologies. The powers that were could only hrumph their disapproval.

Does anyone know the name of a W. H. Auden poem about leaders meeting in a villa retreat and making decisions in that safe and privileged atmosphere that will rain death down on cities? I've looked through many of Auden's collected works, but can't find it. I can't remember more than what I've just told unfortunately. I'm 98% positive it exists out there in the world of print. If it rings a bell, please let me know.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ursula Stange" <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>